As County Legislator, Stan Brownell has introduced and/or supported legislation to protect the health of our children, preserve local historic structures and farmland, along with voting to keep the budget under the tax cap since it was enacted in 2011.
A lifelong resident of Hoosick, Stan resides with his wife Robin and grandson, Tyler. Together, Stan and Robin are the proud grandparents of 5 grandchildren. Stan is the Facility Manager for the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority.
Stan has volunteered with the Hoosick Little League, the North Hoosick Fire Volunteer Fire Company and the Hoosick Falls Elks Club. From 1995-1999 Stan was a member of the Hoosick Town Board and served as co-chairman of the Hoosick Youth Committee where he helped lead efforts to improve the Hoosick town pool and park. He was a member of the St. Stanislaw Society, Hoosick Falls Kiwanis Club, Troy Bowling Association, serving as secretary/treasurer and a board member for the Hoosick Falls Health Center
He currently represents the residents of Rensselaer County serving as a member of the Capital District Regional Planning Commission, Capital District Youth Center Board, as Treasurer, and the Albany Airport regional advisory task force committee.
Stan has been a member of the County Legislature since 1998. He currently serves as Chairman of the Legislature and is a voting member of the Budget and Finance Committee and the Rules and Legislative Operations Committee.
As Legislator, Stan Brownell has:
· Introduced and helped adopt legislation to reduce access by children to cigarettes in stores and vending machines.
· Sought to have the 140 year old St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Hoosick placed on the National Historic Register.
· Supported a plan that increased sales tax revenues to towns and villages in his legislative district.
· Voted to end the sales tax on clothing and footwear.
· Voted for the largest county road improvement project in 30 years.
· Instrumental to getting NYS Route 22 repaved from Columbia County to Petersburgh in 2015.
· Voted on several resolutions opposing the Kinder Morgan Pipeline to be installed in 2017.
· Help lead the efforts to pass a Drinking Water Protection law to protect Rensselaer County drinking water.
· Leading the efforts to update and make improvements to the Legislative chambers of the Legislature.
· Help negotiate modest affordable increases in the County funding to HVCC whom we are the lead sponsor.
· Approved the upgrades and improvements to the 9-1-1 Radio System, improving communication between Fire, EMS and Police.
· Approved upgrades and replacement to the counties out dated phone system, replacing it with a VOIP system.
· Voted to relocate and create a space for Shared Services between Social Services, Probation, and Youth Services, Flanigan Square is a Class A office space, creating a better environment for the employees and residents of Rensselaer County.